I failed to finish the prototype on time. November of 2020 was one of those terrible months where I didn’t have any control of my time until the end of the month. And I need to make a careful analysis of what went so wrong in the past few months—this a “Post-Morten” of happened to my second prototype sprint.
At least it was initially. Until I started to write about it, I didn’t realize how much free time I didn’t have and the enormous impact on my studies. In the end, I summarized my actions, improvements, and lessons.
Starting with the history of events
History of events
|23rd September||The module starts – Working well|
|16th to 22 October||Schools closed – Had to take care of my son daily and work|
|23rd October to 1st November||Free time again – Working again with some delay on my schedule|
|2nd to 13th November||School vacations – Had to take care of my son daily and work|
|14th November||Changed my organization to adopt the Pomodoro technique and replanned with a finned detail of tasks|
|18th November||Prototype 2 session, I failed to finish my prototype|
|27th November to 7 December||Quarantine, wife got covid, and everybody went home again. Taking care of my son and wife full time.|
|2nd December||Sick leave and replanning|
|3rd December||Focus on writing the Creative Reflexive Journal Entries|
Major issues identified
- Lack of available time
- Attempt to focus on Pomodoro shorter timeboxes and detailed and fined grained planning.
- I envisioned a prototype way too complicated to my restrictions. In the end, it was impossible to finish it.
- Out of control life situations (school vacations, quarantine, sickness)
- Lack of available time
Actions taken to resolve the issue
- Re-established the two hours timebox
- Reorganized the blog and a google drive with all missing posts
- Took off a week (end) of sick leave
- Adopted a faster cycle of writing production with the following process steps:
- Reading the content of the lecture and related content
- Topic structure
- First draft
- Review adding images, links and references
- Took of major intermediate activities like challenges and replanned to do them after finish the writings.
- It’s possible to try to extend my limit to submit my work. Due to my sick leave. I’ll try to don’t use it and finish everything without this resource.
- Writing should come first, during, and after. After spending so much time working on the writings, I found it easier to keep open a draft version to put my insights there. Since my time constraints are tight, this makes it easier to work on them continuously.
- It’s better to accomplish modest goals than to leave greater unfinished dreams. Work in small actions.
- Time-management: I work better with 2 hours time-boxes is my best way to work.
- I improved my blog organization.
- Writing process.